The “National Ulema Conference in Support of Peace in Afghanistan” was held on 12th October, 2015 in Kabul-Afghanistan. More than 500 renowned, influential and knowledgeable Islamic scholars (Ulema) including members of the Afghanistan Ulema Council and other senior Ulema from all 34 provinces of Afghanistan converged in this one-day national event.
Comprehensive academic and religious speeches on the current violence, bloodshed in the country and considering the urgent need for ensuring durable peace and stability in Afghanistan were delivered in the conference.
In the conference, the renowned Afghan Ulema took a clear position against the current situation of the country from Islamic perspective. The ongoing war and bloodshed was declared forbidden “Haram”. The participants called the current violence and bloodshed an organized intrigue against the people of Afghanistan who have several times defeated occupying powers.
Besides, the participants of this conference fully supported and appreciated the Afghan National Security forces for the sacrifices they make to defend the independence and sovereignty of the country; they called upon the government of Afghanistan and the armed oppositions to resolve the current problems of the country through dialogue and negotiations.
The participants of the conference asked the international community, Islamic Countries, regional countries and particularly, Islamic scholars and credible Islamic Organizations in the Islamic world to assist the people of Afghanistan in ending the current war and bloodshed.
The conference was concluded with issuing an 11 point Declaration.
Resolution of the
National Ulema Conference in Support of Peace in Afghanistan
12 October, 2015
بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم
قال تعالی: ﴿ وَإِن طَائِفَتَانِ مِنَ الْمُؤْمِنِينَ اقْتَتَلُوا فَأَصْلِحُوا بَيْنَهُمَا ۖ فَإِن بَغَتْ إِحْدَاهُمَا عَلَى الْأُخْرَىٰ فَقَاتِلُوا الَّتِي تَبْغِي حَتَّىٰ تَفِيءَ إِلَىٰ أَمْرِ اللَّهِ ۚ فَإِن فَاءَتْ فَأَصْلِحُوا بَيْنَهُمَا بِالْعَدْلِ وَأَقْسِطُوا ۖ إِنَّ اللَّهَ يُحِبُّ الْمُقْسِطِينَ (﴿9﴾ إِنَّمَا الْمُؤْمِنُونَ إِخْوَةٌ فَأَصْلِحُوا بَيْنَ أَخَوَيْكُمْ ۚ وَاتَّقُوا اللَّهَ لَعَلَّكُمْ تُرْحَمُونَ ﴾ سورة الحجرات ۹ و۱۰
[Translation]: In the Name of Allah, the most compassionate and the most merciful
And if two parties of believers fight against each other make peace between them; then if after that one of them transgresses against the other, fight the party that transgresses until it returns to the command of Allah. Then if it returns, make peace between them with equity, and act justly. Verily, Allah loves the just.- Surely all believers are brothers. So make peace between brothers, and fear Allah that mercy may be shown to you.
(Holly Quran-49:9, 10)
The “National Ulema Conference in Support of Peace in Afghanistan” was held on 12th October, 2015 in Kabul-Afghanistan. More than 500 renowned, influential and knowledgeable Islamic scholars (Ulema) including members of the National Ulema Council and other senior Ulema from all 34 provinces of Afghanistan converged in this one-day national event.
After comprehensive academic and religious discussions on the current violence and bloodshed in the country, and considering the urgent need for ensuring durable peace and stability in Afghanistan, the conference was concluded with the issuance of the following Resolution:
الحمد لله رب العالمين، والصلاة والسلام على خاتم الأنبياء والمرسلين ، المبعوث رحمة للعالمين، محمد وعلى آله وصحبه أجمعين . أما بعد :
We, the Ulema from all province of Afghanistan who participated in the “National Ulema Conference in Support of Peace in Afghanistan” to fulfill our religious and national duty and responsibility according to this verse of the Holy Quran (وَاعْتَصِمُوا بِحَبْلِ اللَّهِ جَمِيعًا وَلَا تَفَرَّقُوا) “And hold fast, all together, by the rope of Allah and be not divided” [3:104] Issue the following Resolution:
1. Given that Afghanistan is an independent Islamic state and inseparable part of the Muslim Ummah and Islamic world with Islamic system and law, Islamic courts and judiciary system, and given that Islamic rituals are being implemented and the people of Afghanistan could freely practice their religious duties, waging war and armed uprising against the people and government of Afghanistan is forbidden “Haram” from the Islamic point of view.
2. No doubt, current violence and bloodshed in the county is imposed on Afghans on the basis of the conspiracies of regional and international intelligence agencies, especially, such agencies of the neighboring countries to achieve material and political interests. And the current conflict has no religious basis. Ulemas have the responsibility to illuminate the minds of people and to intensify their efforts to find a peaceful resolution to this conflict.
3. We, the participants of this conference fully support and appreciate the people of Afghanistan and the Afghan National Security forces for the sacrifices they make to defend our country, to protect our national interest, to serve Islam and Muslim people of the country and to bring about peace and stability at the cost of their lives.
4. Unity of the Islamic Ummah in general, and solidarity of the Afghan people in particular against the enemies of the religion and the people of Afghanistan who relentlessly shed the blood of innocent Afghans including elders, children, women and youth is imperative. Because the Prophet Mohammad (PBUH) says about the killing of innocent people: (لَزَوَالُ الدُّنْيَا أَهْوَنُ عَلَى اللَّهِ مِنْ قَتْلِ مُؤْمِنٍ بِغَيْرِ حَقٍّ ) "The world ceases to exist is less significant to Allah than killing a Muslim man" So we request all the people of Afghanistan to stand jointly against this heinous phenomenon and defend their Islamic values and national pride.
5. We request the International Community, Islamic Countries and countries in the region to discharge their responsibility in regards to assisting Afghans reach a peaceful settlement and to fulfill their commitments for bringing about peace and stability in Afghanistan.
6. History has proved that the brave nation of Afghanistan in various periods of times defended their country and religion empty-handed against all invading and occupying powers and has never submitted to the will of those foreign forces who wanted to enslave Afghans. So the patience and endurance of this proud nation shouldn’t be once again tested.
7. We strongly denounce violence, extremism and any types of provocative actions that lead to war in the country and kindly request all religious scholars and authorities to make their level best to raise awareness of the people about the true provisions of the sacred religion of Islam and make efforts to promote the spirit of responsibility and accountability among parents and children as far as moral obligation is concerned. So that we could save our future generations from radicalization and violent extremism. We also request the Ulema to educate the people of Afghanistan not to be deceived by the hollow and distorted rhetoric of the enemies falsely attributed to the religion of Islam and should not cause destruction of their own country.
8. With one voice, we, all the Ulema call upon the government, the Taliban and other involved parties to strive to resolve the current Afghan problem through direct and constructive negotiations as an only way of out. Through direct negotiations, current challenges would be addressed and ground for a peaceful life for all Afghan would be prepared.
9. Since all the Muslims have come together under a single banner and faith of monotheism and according to the Prophet Mohammad which says all of them are like a single body: ( مَثَلُ الْمُؤْمِنِينَ فِي تَوَادِّهِمْ وَتَرَاحُمِهِمْ وَتَعَاطُفِهِمْ مَثَلُ الْجَسَدِ؛ إِذَا اشْتَكَى مِنْهُ عُضْوٌ تَدَاعَى لَهُ سَائِرُ الْجَسَدِ بِالسَّهَرِ وَالْحُمَّى ) "The example of the faithful in their mutual empathy, mercy, and sympathy, is like the [single] body, when one organ complains [from injury] the rest of the organs empathize through sleeplessness and fever.", We request the scholars of the Muslim word and regional countries as well as credible religious authoritative organizations not to remain silent in regards to the plight and tragedy of the Afghan people and for the sake of Islamic sympathy and solidarity play an effective role in bringing about peace and ending the decades-long conflict in Afghanistan.
10. We, all the participants of the conference once again diligently urge the armed oppositions to renounce violence and bloodshed and agree to initiate an intra-Afghan dialogue for a peaceful settlement of the conflict and prosperity of the suffering people of Afghanistan. It should be noted that on the basis of historical experiences war has never been a legitimate means of achieving a goal. And we should also be mindful of the fact that temporary successes will result in nothing but killing and destructions.
11. Afghan Ulema (religious scholars) are always ready to participate in any debate that challenges the legitimacy of the Afghan Government. The Ulema will in the light of the Quran and Hadiths prove the righteousness and rightfulness of the people and the government of Afghanistan. This will prevent issuance of invalid and biased Fatwas (religious edicts) that are usually prepared and issued on the basis of misinterpretations, misconceptions and deception by anonymous and invalid entities. Because for the basic and important matters related to the Islamic Jurisprudence, such as Jihad, Takfir (Excommunication), Islamic Sovereignty and Caliphate, Al-wala' wa-l-bara (loyalty and disavowal) Dar-al-Islam and Dar-al-Harab and Dar-al-Kufr, we need to refer to true and really credible Ulema.